Unless you meant to let your lips turn purple, how is it possible to go out without a lip balm without any SPF during summer time? I have found a few SPF lip balms siting in my makeup drawer. Ranging from higher end to drugstore, its time for all of them to shine. (with the EOS Lemon Drop with SPF 15 went missing)
Bobbi Brown Lip Balm
SPF 15 ($17)
Ingredients: Wheat germ and Olive oil
Texture: Comfortable and non-greasy solid balm can wear alone or underneath lip makeup.
- Round shaped container is easy to find
- Last forever
- Without any scent
- Hard to dig out products using fingers especially during cold seasons
- Not hygienic
Thoughts: Introduced by my Bobbi Brown makeup artist years ago (she said she used it for overnight), I decided to pick this up again to try. Its a versatile balm that is great for both before and after makeup. It however does not last on my lips.
Kiehl's Lip Balm #1 Pear
SPF 4 ($9)
Ingredients: Cotton seed oil and Octinoxate
Texture: A moisturizing pear scented wax
- Easy to get product by squeezing the tube
- with a scent I like
- Last on lips for a long time
- Waxy (but if you like very waxy lip balms, you would definitely enjoy this)
- Cannot apply product directly with the tube
Thoughts: If your one of those waxy lip balm type of girls, you would love the Kiehl's one. I used the own the original one and hated it but though the new scented ones would change my opinion on them. They didn't :(
Hawaiian Tropic Sunscreen Lip Balm (Aloe Vera & Vanilla Mint)
SPF 45+ ($3/ea)
Ingredients: Avobenzone, Octocrylene, Oxybenzone
Texture: A non greasy heavily scented chapstick
- Best to apply on the beach without using our dirty hands
- Stick formula would not melt easy in hot weather
- One of the highest SPF lip products found on the market
- Heavy scents might not be suitable for some people
- Might accentuate dryness of the lips with its dryer formula
Thoughts: I like the texture and convenience using the Hawaiian Tropic lip balms the most. I feel like this is a product meant to make for protecting your lips (rather than being a lip product that by chance contains SPF), but thats of course with taking into account that I am a hugee Hawaiian Tropic fan for a long time. Even when their products werent as widely as accessible back then in Hong Kong, I got most of their stuff from Roxy.
I am SO ready for the sun! Will probably bring all these products with me this saturday to the Sunny California. I will be staying at a resort by myself next weekend and head back to LA for another 10 days. Let me know if any of you would be around the area. We should meet up!